Digital Outreach Lead & Web Producer
Climate Central is seeking a creative, detail-oriented junior/mid-level staffer to serve a trio of related roles: as web producer, as social media lead, and as point person for our email campaigns, a vital tool in our communication of climate science, impacts and solutions. The position requires prior experience in web production, social media engagement, managing multiple email lists, and email marketing. Top candidates will have a demonstrated capacity to meet deadlines, proactively solve problems and generate new ideas.
Climate Central is a respected non-advocacy, non-profit organization that works to reach large and significant audiences using a wide variety of tools. Current initiatives include Climate Matters, which each week provides local TV meteorologists with data and TV-ready graphics about climate/ weather linkages for their use on-air and via social media; the program recently expanded to include local journalists and news directors through the Climate Matters in the Newsroom. Climate Central’s work on sea level rise is advancing the local accuracy of global sea level rise threat assessments, researching the intersection of social and physical vulnerability on U.S. coasts, and pioneering a new generation of online tools.
Climate Central’s highly interdisciplinary work is conducted by a team whose backgrounds include natural and social sciences, data analysis, journalism, graphic design, web production and other fields.
- Post new content developed by program staff on our multiple existing sites
- Assist in upcoming processes to (re)design and (re)launch existing and future sites
- Monitor comments and where appropriate direct to relevant staff for response
- Work with our Climate Matters team to distribute camera-ready graphics to our 650+ participating broadcast meteorologists and 170+ journalists
- Oversee additional email and social media campaigns from conception to delivery
- Contribute to marketing strategy employed in email and social media campaigns to increase engagement with content and increase list-serve subscribers
- Develop responsive emails in an email marketing program (often containing dynamic content) and HTML and CSS for email elements connected to the web
- Improve upon current email templates and ensure consistent branding across multiple email lists and browsers
- Conduct A/B testing to enhance email campaigns
Social Media Producer
- Under guidance of program staff, select Climate Central-originated and other content as basis for multiple daily postings to our 103,000 Twitter followers and our nearly 150,000 Facebook followers, then design and post the content
- Conceptualize and work with designer to occasionally develop novel graphics for posting
- Regularly track, report, and review activity metrics across web, email and social media accounts to identify areas of improvement
- Stay current with latest design and development trends
- Other duties as assigned
- 3-5 years of experience
- Ability to successfully manage a range of activities across different programs
- Strong HTML and CSS skills are essential
- Well-versed in mobile responsive email coding techniques
- Experience in debugging cross-browser/cross-platform compatibility issues
- Strong eye for opportunities to automate, and abilities needed for implementation
- Familiarity tracking and digesting activity metrics
- Knowledge of digital marketing strategies, focus on email/social media a plus
- General proficiency in Photoshop; additional Adobe design programs a plus
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, deadline driven
- Familiarity with climate issues is a distinct plus
- A highly collegial attitude is essential, and a sense of humor is a plus
This position is located at Climate Central’s headquarters in Princeton, N.J. We are willing to consider telework arrangements after an initial period.
Compensation is competitive, with generous benefits.
Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter including salary expectations; your resume; a writing sample of no more than 3 pages (may be an excerpt of a longer document) that has not been edited by anyone other than yourself; link(s) to any relevant online identity (e.g. LinkedIn), and contact information for three references familiar with your work, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the exact subject line, “Digital Outreach Lead & Web Producer” (no quotes). Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, Climate Central is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate. The search will close when a successful candidate is recruited.
I.T. Project Manager/Information Systems Technologist (Consultant)
Climate Central — a respected non-advocacy NGO that produces sophisticated information products on climate change science, impacts and solutions for U.S. and global audiences – is looking to contract with an I.T. Project Manager, who will establish high-performance software + product development/ update processes for our new and existing science-based materials (reports, media content, and web products).
We are looking for people who are inspired by and can contribute to innovative thinking about using technology to communicate on one of the biggest challenges facing humanity. You’ll address the full lifecycle of software development, so you need to have demonstrated competence in gathering, facilitating and documenting software requirements. In addition, you will develop and manage test protocols and define user-support service levels, and be responsible for managing new product launches and cutover to new updates for existing products.
Here's what success looks like:
- Rapid, efficient delivery of new products and updates to existing products
- Documented requirements and test criteria
- Written specifications sufficient for internal developers and contracting external developers
- Well-organized repository of requirements, user stories, specifications, test criteria and service levels
- Well-established development methods, terms, tracking and reporting
- Efficiently engaged across a diverse staff that includes developers, scientists, data analysts, graphics specialists and media experts
- Management visibility across all development activities and resources
- Responsible, data- and fact-based basis for saying “yes” to new product requests
- Engage stakeholders to document product requirements
- Document development work breakdown structure, resource requirements and timeline, entering them in Jira and Portfolio
- Develop specifications and test criteria that can be handed-off to developers on staff or contract
- Manage development timeline, raising and resolving issues
- Maintain a weekly or 2 week Portfolio view for all internal stakeholders of development program current progress, resources and commitments
- Set up and maintain a repository for requirements, user stories, specifications, test criteria and service levels
- Minimum of five years of project management experience using well-established software development methods. Knowledge of Agile techniques
- Academic background or demonstrated professional experience in software engineering, information technology or computer science
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. We use technology but the critical success factors are people
- Good judgement and emotional intelligence. We have a climate to fix and never enough time or resources
This is a contract position reporting the VP for Programs or her designee.
Location: This position will require frequent in-person meetings at Climate Central’s headquarters in Princeton, N.J..
About Climate Central: Climate Central uses a wide variety of tools to help make climate personal and relevant for a wide variety of audiences. Current initiatives include Climate Matters, which each week provides a network of more than 650 local TV meteorologists with data and broadcast-quality graphics about the linkages between local weather events and climate change; the program is expanding to include local journalists and news directors through Climate Matters in the Newsroom. Our work on sea level rise is advancing the local accuracy of global sea level rise threat assessments, researching the intersection of social and physical vulnerability on the U.S. coast, and pioneering a new generation of online tools, all designed to help bring climate change home. Our highly interdisciplinary staff have backgrounds in the science, engineering, data analysis, journalism, graphic design, web production, and other fields. Our non-partisan, non-advocacy approach is rare among climate groups and critical for our credibility and wide reach, particularly with the media.
How to Apply: Please send your cover letter including compensation expectations; your resume; a detailed description of your experience with software requirements; an example of specifications that has not been edited by anyone other than yourself (a draft is fine, and confidential information may be redacted or generalized); and contact information for three references familiar with your work, to email@example.com with the exact subject line, “IT Project Manager” (no quotes). Due to the volume of responses, Climate Central is unable to reply to each response individually. Individuals will be contacted directly if selected for further consideration.