Available Positions: Experienced Full Stack Engineer
Experienced Full Stack Engineer
Climate Central’s sea level program is a recognized leader in both climate science and communication in the US and globally. Program research and web applications have repeatedly been featured in the New York Times, Washington Post, USA Today, and Associated Press, as well as on NBC, CBS and PBS national evening news programs, NPR, and many hundreds more online, print, TV and radio outlets in 89 countries. We have testified in the U.S. Senate, and our tools are being used in practical ways at local through federal levels and internationally.
- Enhance, improve and expand the Surging Seas maps and Risk Finder web tool, both in their back- and front-ends
- Lead cloud migration effort and improve research-to-product pipeline
- Create small web visualizations to supplement scientific articles
- Other duties as assigned
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience, plus at least 5 years
- Strong Linux experience
- Experience with cloud computing services (Amazon Web Services, or similar)
- Web technologies: HTML5/CSS, React, Node.js, D3, Flask
- Database experience: PostgreSQL, MySQL, or similar (we use Postgres)
- You are highly self-motivated, and work well independently and in a small team
- You are attentive to detail, constantly curious, and open to tackling tasks large and small
Highly Desired Qualifications:
- Functional programming enthusiasm, and experience with map-reduce computing methodology and associated tools
- Experience with mapping software and tools such as Mapnik and GIS
- A good touch with UI design and/or data visualization for broad audiences
- Data analysis or scientific computing experience, esp. using the SciPy stack
Climate Central is a fast-growing, non-profit organization with an entrepreneurial atmosphere. We are an independent organization of leading scientists and journalists researching and reporting the facts about our changing climate and its impact on the American public. Climate Central is not an advocacy organization and does not lobby or support any specific legislation, policy or bill.
Location: Climate Central is headquartered in Princeton, NJ. We are open-minded about remote work arrangements but prefer candidates who will be able to work in the office at least 1-2 days per week for team cohesion. Both NYC and Philadelphia are within reach.
Compensation: Compensation is competitive, with very generous benefits.
How to Apply: Please send your cover letter, resume, link(s) to any relevant online identity (e.g. GitHub) and salary expectations to email@example.com with the exact subject line, “Climate coder” (no quotes). Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, Climate Central is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Search will close when successful candidate is recruited to fill this position.
Diversity: Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.