Available Positions: Data Analyst
Climate Central is seeking an energetic and self-motivated data analyst to join a team investigating the impacts of climate change in the U.S. as part of our States at Risk and Climate Matters programs. You’ll work closely with our team of scientists, analysts and graphics designers and developers to produce a series of original, newsworthy and influential reports and analyses.
Top candidates will have experience with handling large data sets and statistical analysis, along with creative analytical skills. They will also have an interest and talent discovering newsworthy stories from quantitative analyses. Research areas include climate change-related trends and impacts of wildfires, flooding, extreme heat, and drought in the U.S.
- Identify, obtain, and analyze large climate and weather data sets, and other primary data relevant to climate change, from government and other publicly available sources.
- Assist in the production of a series of reports detailing the findings of these analyses.
- Be a key member of a team of scientists, journalists, and graphics designers that produce regular climate change content, analyses, and data visualizations for TV, print, the web and mainstream media outlets.
- Recognize and develop interesting scientific findings and story lines that can be translated into reports and visuals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in statistics, computer science, environmental science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 1-2 years of research and quantitative analysis experience.
- A demonstrated talent for creative analysis and clear presentation of interesting newsworthy findings from complex data sets, including quantitative data analysis experience. Data visualization and graphics experience is a plus.
- Fluency with basic software requirements (for example, but not limited to, R, Matlab, and/or ArcGIS) and an ability to learn new ones.
- Experience simultaneously juggling more than one multi-disciplinary project.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Enjoy working as part of a team, and open to taking input from all levels.
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Climate Central is a fast-growing, non-profit organization with an entrepreneurial atmosphere. We are an independent organization of leading scientists and journalists researching and reporting the facts about our changing climate and its impact on the American public. Climate Central is not an advocacy organization and does not lobby or support any specific legislation, policy or bill.
Location: This position is located at Climate Central’s headquarters in Princeton, NJ.
Compensation: Climate Central offers a very competitive salary that is commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter explaining how your skills and background fit this position, along with a resume, to Iveta Weinberg at firstname.lastname@example.org. Refer to Data Analyst Job in the subject line. All correspondence will remain confidential.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, Climate Central is unable to respond to each application. Applicants will be contacted if selected as a candidate for this position. No phone calls please.
Diversity: Climate Central strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and as such do not discriminate against any applicant for employment or employee on the basis of race, color, religious creed, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other classification protected by applicable discrimination laws.