Navigating the IPCC Report - Round 3
The U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is the leading international body for the assessment of climate change. Created in 1988 by the World Meteorological Organization and the United Nations Environmental Program, the IPCC releases a comprehensive report on the state of the climate every 6-7 years. This consensus report, known as the Assessment Report 5 (AR5), is based on a global review of scientific articles that were published or accepted before April 2013 by a team of more than 830 climate scientists from around the world.
Working Group III has created it's own website where you can find news surrounding the report's release, press & media contacts, B-roll and fact sheets.
The IPCC report was released in three different stages:
Working Group I: The Physical Science Basis – Sept. 27, 2013
Working Group II: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability – March 31, 2014 (Japan)/March 30, 2014 (USA)
Working Group III: Mitigation of Climate Change – April 13, 2014
|Report Summary||Graphics||Additional Links||Interactive|
The IPCC’s Working Group III report, the third of three in the IPCC’s Fifth Assessment - also known as AR5, is being released on Sunday April 13, 2014 at 11 am in Berlin, Germany (5:00 am Eastern). This working group report focuses on mitigation of climate change.
Here are some of the report highlights:
- We still have time, and it's economically feasible, to keep warming under 2 degrees C (3.6°F).
- Investment in and promotion of renewable energies is going to be key to reaching that goal.
- This report will focus a lot more on the economics than the IPCC's AR4, looking at how investment in and funding of renewables might work.
- Official IPCC website
- Working Group III microsite
- Our Resource Page from the release of Working Group I in September
- Our Resource Page from the release of Working Group II in March
|Interactive version here|
Bonus: An animated version
from Skeptical Science
Previous Releases - National
Previous Releases - Local
To see if the graphic is available in your market, simply click the link below the preview for a full market list.